Water Damage Restoration Rochester, NY: Don’t Delay Act Before It’s Too Late
There are many situations that can cause water damage in a home. Common times when water damage restoration Rochester, NY is needed are leaky roofs, busted water pipes, faulty appliances, attempts to put out a fire, or floods. No matter what caused the water damage, there are steps that you should take right away to prevent more damage from being done to your home and to what the water damage extraction process.
- Stop the water at its source. The most common cause of water damage is a leaky or busted water pipe. If you find this to be the case, either seal the leak or turn off your home’s main water supply to prevent further damage.
- Call your insurance agent. You will need to see if you are covered for the damages. Also take photographs of the damage before you attempt to clean it up.
- Turn off the power. If you can safely reach the breaker box, turn off the power in the affected area. Do not attempt to use any electrical appliances while standing on a wet floor, particularly one made of concrete.
- Remove the water. How much you will be able to do on your own depends on how much water you are dealing with, but remove as much of the water as you can using towels, mops, and other tools you have on hand. However, if you know the water is not from a clean source and is contaminated water from a flood, it is important not to come into contact with it. Also remember to never use a regular household vacuum in an attempt to remove water.
- Remove wet floor coverings such as area rugs. Get drapes and furniture skirting off of the wet floor.
- Open up drawers in furniture, closest doors, and luggage in order to enhance drying.
It is important to call in professionals as soon as possible in most cases. Structural damage from the water and bacterial growth can begin within hours. Mold and mildew that can result from water damage can be dangerous and sometimes toxic.
Jet Dry Carpet Cleaning and Restoration Services has been repairing water damage for Rochester residents for years. We know how critical it is to act quickly to prevent further damage and also how important it is to be thorough. Depending on the extent of your water damage, we also provide other services your home may need, including: carpet cleaning, tile and grout cleaning, and wood floor polishing.
If your home is suffering from water damage, don’t hesitate to give Jet Dry a call today.